HOW I LAYER SKINCARE PRODUCTS
As I have promised in my post "How I got rid of Acne" here I will explain how I layer skincare products. I think it is quite important, especially with the revolution that The Ordinary brought to the beauty industry and changed the way we use face care. I personally always preferred a couple of light serums layered instead of heavy creams or oils.
However, these steps can be applied to any skincare brand that you might use and by no means, you have to follow them all. This is more about knowing the principles so you can tailor your beauty regime and get the most out of the products that you use.
It is very straightforward and easy. There is only one simple rule:
Water-based products before oils, from the clearest consistency to the most opaque.
1. Toner/ mist/ essence - the first step after you have cleansed your face is the application of water-based products such as toner, mist and/or essence.
I love BHA or AHA exfoliating toners after cleansing. AM I prefer to use Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% Liquid exfoliant and Alpha H Liquid gold with Glycolic acid – PM. Also, Omorovicza Queen of Hungary Mist is great if my skin needs just extra hydration and a break from exfoliating acids. I also like The Body Shop Drops of Youth Essence.
I do alternate these products depending on my skin needs, whether it is clogged, needs resurfacing or just extra hydration.
2. Serum – now you can layer any serums that have clear consistency.
Niod Multi Molecular Hyaluronic Complex and The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zink 1%. I do like my skincare regime to be easy and straightforward, however, when I have a bad skin day I might need all the help I can possibly get.
3. More opaque serum - after applying clear serums if needed more opaque, milky consistency serums can be applied. I like Gatineau Melatogenine AOX Probiotics Youth Activating Beauty Serum.
4. Cream - I am a firm believer that few hydrating/ protecting serums will penetrate the skin better than heavy creams. Therefore if your skin feels dry and/or dehydrated applying cream after serums will seal all the goodness that you have just applied. To rephrase Caroline Hirons - cream is like a coat, you have all these layers of clothes underneath and before going outside you put a coat on.
Also, don't forget your SPF during the day. My current favorites are SkinCeuticals Mineral Radiance UV Defense SPF 50 with Universal Tint and Temple Spa Self Defence SPF 30.
One of my skincare regimes.
5. Oil - I personally prefer using oils at night time, because I have combination skin. However, if you have dry skin there are some great oils that can be used during the day and will ensure smooth makeup application.
My skin loves Decleor Aromaessence Mandarine smoothing Oil Serum and The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed oil.
And last but not least I do leave Retinol and Vitamin C (high strength 15% and higher) for night regime because these ingredients are not stable and have a tendency to oxidize in sunlight. Therefore best to be used during night time.
Remember to protect your skin during daytime and restore during the night. I hope these principals will help you tailor your skincare regime. Please let me know what products you like to layer.
Thank you for reading.